SIX Techniques for Exceeding African American Customers’ Expectations
To begin attempting to exceed African American customers’ expectations, try the following:
- Become familiar with your African American customers: Get to know who we are and why we do business with you. Find out our likes and dislikes.
- Ask us what our expectations are: Find out what we see as the benefit of doing business with you. What would we like for you to do that you are not already doing?
- Tell us what we can expect: Convey your commitment to us.
- Live up to our expectations: Follow through by accomplishing what you have said that you would do.
- Maintain consistency: Do not promise what you cannot deliver, but always deliver a consistent service. African American Customers like to know that they will have the same positive experience every time they interact with you.
- Communicate with African American customers using the method we want to use: If customers prefer face-to-face communication, provide that; if they prefer online ordering or assistance, provide that; etc
Harris, E. K. (2013). Customer Service: A Practical Approach, Sixth Edition. Upper Saddle River: Pearson.