So what exactly is a blog? A blog is a web-log or diary that you update as often as time allows.
Try to see blogging as the opportunity to connect with a new audience. Lets face it there are conversations happening in the blogosphere
that are applicable to the brands we represent. There is value in brands joining the discussion. Social Media
is a channel that we can integrate into all aspects of our marketing campaign. Blogger is an effort that goes further than marketing and enters the world of PR
Why Do I Blog:
- To encourage and enable the sharing of information
- To create or curate unfiltered, credible content and reviews, in order to create a conversation around my brand.
- To build long-term relationships using social media not only to distribute content but to build active communities and interact with and respond to audiences.
…And for good measurement
- Layer on social media measurement tools to find where users fall into your conversion funnels.
This is the conversion Funnel
when people go to your blog they will start reading your blog and if you have links they will click on them…sometime’s. So if 1,000 people read your blog the number of people who click on the link decreases by 30%-70%. If they do click on your link then the chances of them clicking on another link goes down by 30%-60% and so on. Occasionally someone will click on all of the links go to your website and buy something. Although that only happen’s1%-5% of the time. So the key is driving traffic to your website.
: 60% of the people blogging are blogging about non-sequential topics and doing it just as a hobby.
The other 40% of the blogosphere is occupied by
Professional bloggersTake up 18% and are independent bloggers who either use blogging as a way to supplement their income, or consider it their full-time job.
blogs make up 8% of the blogosphere. These blogs primarily talk about technology and business.
Entrepreneursmake up 13% of the blogosphere blogging for a company they own
84% blog about the industry they work in.
So why do we blog we do it, to share expertise, to gain professional recognition, to attract new clients. Blogging gives you better visibility in your industry like blogging about business, or technology or both. One of the main reasons to blog is because you have something to say to the world. Blogging allows you to expand your reach outside your target market, while establishing yourself as an expert.
Encourage & Enable Sharing Across Platforms
More people will be getting their news and information from blogs than from traditional media
in the next few years. Blogs are often better written than traditional media. Blogs are just as valid a media source as traditional media (e.g. newspapers, magazines, television, and radio). People who are using Twitter
, as a news source rely on blogs more
as a news source.
Blogs are getting taken more seriously as sources of information. Compared with other media, blogs continue to outpace other social media and many traditional media in terms of trust and generating consumer recommendations and purchases. Facebook remains somewhat influential, but less so than blogs and Twitter has seen a drop in influence over the past year.
Create or curate …
Create or curate unfiltered, credible content and reviews, in order to create a conversation around your brand.
“More and more companies will start to use bloggers to talk about their products and brands.”
Among Corporate and Entrepreneur bloggers, the best response has come from advice or consultative content. Professional’s, Corporate and Entrepreneur bloggers tend to blog about technology. Business is also a very popular topic for Corporate and Entrepreneur bloggers.
Corporate blogs are the most common type of brand marketing. Professionals also participate in traditional PR announcement coverage and sponsored posts. Professionals working on branding have also elicited a positive response.
Things you may want to consider writing about.
How _______can expand your world?
Information, news and opinions about _______.
A blog that looks deeper at what direction technology is taking us and how we use it.
A blog covering general topics.
Focus on building long-term relationships using social media not only to distribute content but to build active communities and interact with and respond to your audiences.
Expand Your Reach
“Social media is the glue to the mass messages. We attempt to integrate all of our campaigns so the paid, owned and earned are all working together. We do this for all of our clients.”
Image via CrunchBase
82% of bloggers surveyed are using Twitter, with almost all Professional Full Timers (93%) and Professional Part Timers (91%) using Twitter and having on average over 1,000 followers. Those who use Twitter say they do so to promote their blog (77%), follow friends (60%), and bring interesting links to light (59%). Professional, Corporate, and Entrepreneur bloggers use Twitter to promote themselves professionally.
Image via CrunchBase
Almost nine out of ten bloggers surveyed (89%) use Facebook. 50% of all bloggers have separate Facebook pages for their blog and for their personal account, a jump from only 34% last year.
Among Facebook users, the most common reason for using the social network is to promote one’s blog. 61% of Entrepreneur bloggers use Facebook to promote their business.
English: Google plus one (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
More than six out of ten respondents use Google+. Of those who use this service only 13% have a separate account for their blog and personal use.
Among Google+ users, the most common reasons for using the social network are to bring interesting links to light (43%) and promote their blog (33%).
LinkedIn & YouTube
Other than Facebook and Twitter, the most
popular social networking platforms among respondents are LinkedIn and YouTube. Not surprisingly, respondents found Facebook and Twitter to be the most effective social networking tools to market their blogs and drive traffic.
Layer on Social media measurement tools to find where users fall into your conversion funnels.
seo punishment (Photo credit: Sean MacEntee)
Tracking your results
Among, Corporates, and Entrepreneurs, the leading metric of success is the number of unique visitors, while 42% of Professional Part Timers and 38% of Professional Full Timers cited revenue as the leading metric compared to 13% of respondents overall. Most blog-related revenue is generated through giving speeches on blogging topics and advertising.
Professional bloggers receive the most views, with over half of the blogs viewed more than 10,000 times per month. Professional bloggers receive the most unique visitors per month, with more than a third having over 10,000 unique visitors.
Bloggers need to pay close attention to their readership: 65% use a third-party service to track their blog’s traffic. Across bloggers, Google Analytics is by far the most popular service, 58% of bloggers using third-party analytics receive fewer than 5,000 page views per month.
Ghost writer? For Whom?
It doesn’t matter if it’s Corporate Identity or an Individual, work to understand your clients needs. What outcome do they have in mind for the piece of writing? If you want to write as them You need to know what message they want to convey. You will need to research their niche so you can write with authority. Don’t just try to sound like your character, sound like you know what your talking about. Read some of their existing work so you can use some of their phrasing. Also it is important to get feedback from clients so you can continue to work at capturing their voice and helping them to meet their objectives
First step is Building the Blog and branding the site. The two Blog sites that I use are Blogger/Blogspot and WordPress. They are both good sites for beginner bloggers and they both offer different features. I will not go into WordPress and Blogger/Blogspot for you at this time look for it in coming post.
Second step is connecting if you don’t already have social media sites you will need a Twitter, FaceBook, Linkedin, and YouTube account, and a website wouldn’t hurt.
Set up the social media sites, and email accounts, and other sites like LinkedIn and link them to your blog, link your blog to your corporate website. All roads should lead to your website.
Third Step is Activity Posting once a week, reply to comment’s on your post, respond to email, and doing research related to future post. You should also send e-mail blast and post on your social media sites to drive traffic
Fourth is Site Maintenance and Tracking this includes checking stats, Data tracking and exporting reports.
So now you know enough to get started, go, and leave me a link to your blog I would love to read it.
I also have read some books on the subject and I suggest you read this book The Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging. This book was so good I read half of it on a flight from Minnesota to New York and the other half a few days later on the flight back. It has great resources and it has some pretty funny stories.
If you want to know “How to start a blog” or to use blogging for your business and you don’t quite know where to start try the book The Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging.